After surviving the cold winter months, it seems that all of creation looks forward to something new. Well, today marks the 1st day of spring. Let us rejoice.
There are several things that take place naturally as we move from winter to spring:
- The temperature of the air and soil starts to warm up
- Flowers begin to bloom
- Animals come out of hibernation
- Rainy days, mixed with sunshine, help the grass, flowers and trees to grow
- Birds begin to migrate north
- A different set of fruits and vegetables become “in season”
- Desolate landscapes transform into fields of green
There are several things we do as we enter the new season:
- “Spring cleaning” – a deeper level of cleaning for the home, office, vehicle, boat, etc.
- Store winter clothes to make room for our much lighter spring wardrobe
- Plant seeds – begin gardening outside
- Participate, watch or hear about sports such as swimming, baseball, track, golf, or softball
- Ride bikes more often
- Keep the car washed and detailed to get rid of insects, bird droppings and pollen
- Open windows to let in “fresh air”
- Spend more time in local parks, amusement parks and other outside venues
- Take our exercise routine outside to the patio or backyard
Spring has often been described as a season of renewal, growth and life. With the aroma of flowers in bloom, birds chirping whimsically, and the sound of children’s laughter in the air, spring brings about a much needed feel of joy and restoration to the land and humankind. It is usually welcomed with open arms as many prepare for parties and celebrations.
In Central Florida, the day began with dark, fast-moving clouds that soon gave-way to beaming rays of sunshine. However, the sunshine did not last. The beautiful sky became overcast as the winds blew and heavy rain began to fall. Reports of storms, tornadoes and hail have been voiced over many media outlets. Some schools have cancelled programs and some businesses suggested that employees leave early. Nevertheless, I am not moved. I understand that we have entered a NEW SEASON.
“March – In like a lion, out like a lamb”
This new season came in with a mixed weather pattern. A little sun, some dark clouds, a few scattered storms, and lots of rain. None of this phases me, because I know we have entered the season of renewal, growth and life. All of these events today are necessary. The dark clouds produced the rain that will water the seed. If we apply this to our spiritual life, we will mount up and know that it is time to spring forth. Every day won’t be sunny, but in this season, the rain will produce growth. In this season, the rain will produce new life. In this season, the rain will bring restoration. Thank God for a new season.
“Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”